We must maintain high ethical standards and assume financial, environmental, and social responsibility in decision-making. Continued value creation will occur through effective business operations and exercising active corporate responsibility. By displaying responsible conduct, we build trust and credibility in the Group’s business activities and are viewed as estimable by all Hafslund stakeholders.
Finn Bjørn Ruyter
Acting President and CEO
Hafslund’s corporate social responsibility policy is based on the Group’s vision, core values and corporate culture. Hafslund adopts the Norwegian government’s definition of corporate social responsibility (“Corporate Social Responsibility in a Global Economy”), which essentially states that corporate social responsibility involves the integration of social and environmental considerations into daily operations and in line with stakeholder interests. It further states that “corporate social responsibility is a question of what businesses do voluntarily in addition to complying with existing legislation and regulations in the country in which they operate”.
The goals of Hafslund’s corporate social responsibility policy are for the Group to act as a responsible corporate citizen, to create trust and credibility with regard to the Group’s activities, and to build and maintain the confidence of our stakeholders.
These goals will be realised by:
- Exercising clear, effective corporate governance to encourage the greatest possible value creation over time
- Helping to promote sustainable development through the generation and distribution of renewable and alternative energy
- Implementing business activities in a way that ensures the least possible adverse impact on the external environment
- Maintaining high ethical standards in carrying out business activities, and taking economic, environmental, and social factors into account when making decisions
- Running the business in accordance with internationally recognised principles and guidelines for the conduct of business, employee and human rights principles, and the precautionary principle
- Supporting socially beneficial goals that adhere to the same values that form the Group’s core values, reinforce the Group’s image, and help the Group achieve its other goals
Corporate social responsibility should be integrated as a natural part of the Group’s operational activities, and regarded as part of its long-term value creation. Corporate social responsibility creates trust and confidence – and makes the Group more attractive to stakeholders. It also reduces Hafslund’s commercial risk. Corporate social responsibility work is therefore closely linked to the Group’s other business strategies and risk policies and shall be managed in a structured way.
“We must maintain high ethical standards and assume financial, environmental, and social responsibility in decision-making. Continued value creation will occur through effective business operations and exercising active corporate responsibility. By displaying responsible conduct, we build trust and credibility in the Group’s business activities and are viewed as estimable by all Hafslund stakeholders.”
Finn Bjørn Ruyter – Acting President and CEO